Its a New Year and a New You!
Here are a few tips to help you begin the year off with some self love and self care, along with a Coupon for 20% off our online store!
- Change it up. Most likely, your summer skin care routine will not cut it in the winter. Your skin will probably need more moisture more often. If you usually use a lotion, you may need to switch to a cream. We suggest using our deeply nourishing Calming Lotion with CO-Q10, Organic Shea Butter, Rosehip, Jojoba, Coconut oil and Grapeseed Oil, to help turn back the clock and an all-over softer look and feel for your skin this Season.
- Choose your cleanser carefully. Cleansers can strip your skin of natural oils, dry it out, and over time, lead to more visible lines and wrinkles. We recommend our EverClear Cleanser made with green tea, aloe and bilberry to deeply cleanse while nourishing your skin. And keep a watch for our NEW Antioxidant Green Tea & Dead Sea Salt Cleanser in 2019!
- Exfoliate. Exfoliating brings back that youthful glow that is so often lost during the winter months. Try our Crushed Walnut Meal Exfoliator with Almond and Grape Seed Oil, just once or twice a week for new skin cell replenishment.
- Protect. Winter weather appears to be less sunny, but remember—those harmful UV rays are still out there. Always protect skin with a safe sunscreen like one that contains zinc oxide, and wear protective hats and clothing.
- Shorten your showers. Hot water feels great in the winter, but it saps our skin of its natural oils. Try to limit long, hot showers and baths to once or twice a week, and choose lukewarm the other times. Always apply a natural moisturizer immediately after patting skin dry.
- Shampoo Less often to help with itchy, flaky scalp. Plaques of our skin can smother the scalp, not only causing itch and flakes, but smothering growth as well. We recommend lightening up on the shampooing and switching to LTO’s Botanical Shampoo Bars when you need a good nourishing cleanse. Traditional Shampoos are made with synthetic ingredients –preservatives, detergents, foam boosters, fragrance oils and synthetic colors — none of which we want on our hair! Especially in the Winter when these ingredients strip moisture from the hair and scalp, cause dryness, brittleness and scalp irritation. Our bars are made with pure, moisturizing Organic Coconut Oil, Olive Fruit Oil, Castor Seed Oil, Sunflower Seed Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Cocoa Butter, Aloe Leaf Juice, Vitamin E, Tea Tree and Peppermint Essential Oils along with green algae. Our Botanical blend is perfect even for oily or fine hair because it cleanses without weighing hair down.
- Eat right most of the time. Simple sugars and carbohydrates stimulate reactions in our skin that can lead to more acne breakouts. Avoid these during your daily life and you’ll experience fewer setbacks when you do indulge.
- Get more Sleep. Our bodies evolved to take things a little slower in the winter: as the nights get longer and the days get shorter, our metabolism takes things down a notch and our energy levels drop. Go easy on yourself and do what you can to listen to your body’s needs over the next couple of months. Consider spending a little extra time journaling, start a meditation practice, or even try going to bed an hour earlier if our bodies are telling us we could use that extra hour of sleep!
- Wear gloves. Our hands suffer the most during the winter—usually because we’re washing them more often to avoid the germs that can cause infections. Take a moisturizer with you and apply regularly, and wear gloves to protect the skin on your hands from the harsh winter weather. Our Pure Radiance Daily Moisturizer is wonderful all over for dry, dull skin.
- Use a humidifier. As winter comes, the air dries out. The dryer the air, the more it steals moisture from our skin. If you live in a dry climate or have the heat going most nights, your skin is going to feel it! Try using a humidifier, particularly in your bedroom at night.
- Rejuvenate. The winter months are a great time to provide your skin with more nutrients so it can better withstand winter stress. Our Botanical Face Serum with Hyaluronic Acid helps to replenish lost moisture, and can be used before your regular moisturizer every night for added absorption.
- Get outside! I know, I know! When it’s cold and gray outside, sometimes the last thing we want to do is leave our warm, cozy home. But it really is worth getting bundled up, even if you just get in a short walk. Being outside while the sun is out can help your vitamin D levels and breathing in the fresh air will give you a chance to get some new bacteria into your microbiome. The mix of old microbes, toxins, and chemicals can have some seriously negative effects on our health, including depleting our immune function, leading to brain fog and even changing the appearance of our skin. Getting outside into nature also helps support our immune system and mood. In fact, studies show that spending time in nature actually switches our nervous system into a relaxed state and reduces activity in a part of the brain commonly associated with a low mood, leaving us less likely to stew on things, and that’s a good thing!
- Hydrate. Of course, seasonal eating goes hand in hand with seasonal drinking—which, if you’re anywhere near me on the east coast, we might trend a bit more towards hot chocolate, eggnog and mulled wine, rather than water! It’s easy to overlook staying hydrated in the winter, especially because you might not feel as thirsty.
This doesn’t mean that our body doesn’t need the same amount of water, though—the decrease in thirstiness is actually connected to our blood flow. When we are cold, our body decreases blood flow to our extremities, to preserve the heat at its core. This signals to the part of our body that deals with thirst that we’re hydrated, even when we’re not. What’s more, wearing heavy clothes and breathing out more water vapor can also contribute to our body losing more water than we realize.
- Dont leave home without your Lip Balms! Chapped lips are the bane of winter living. So get rid of that dry, flaky skin with LTO’s delicious, nourishing Organic Lip Balms. Made with only the purest Organic ingredients like Calendula, Rosemary Extract, Coconut and Sunflower Oils, along with pure essential oils to nourish and soothe your lips all winter long!
- Being Grateful. I think my favorite practice for self-care is to focus on gratitude throughout the whole winter season, not just during Thanksgiving. Incorporating a simple gratitude practice into our daily routine is a wonderful way to lift our mood, not to mention dissolve any holiday-related stress that might be hanging around.
It really can be as simple as thinking of one thing we’re grateful for every day––and the effects can truly impact every other aspect of our life, from self-care to the way we relate to those around us. If you want a little more direction to your practice, try thinking of one thing you’re grateful for just before you go to bed at night. It can be something as simple as seeing a beautiful sunset, or something bigger, like reaching out to someone you might not have spoken with in some time. Be more present and notice the beauty that exists all around you. Look at things from a positive perspective. This helps activate the mind to being grateful for what we have and not what we do not. And Remember what Andy Warhole once said “Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it”
Winter can be a magical time of self-reflection, connection with oneself, intention setting and self-care. As you start to think about the coming year, see if you can incorporate some intentions and envision how you’d like your life to look and feel in the coming year.
Whether this Season brings you joy with its cozy nights or you’re anxiously awaiting the return of those long summer days, taking the time to really care for oneself can make a big difference in how one feels over the next few months. Give yourself the gift of total love and support this Season, internally and externally. I hope you will use some of these self-care tips to make certain that you feel beautiful, cared for and healthy and happy all season long. Because you deserve it! Happy New Year!
If you wish to take advantage of our healthy New Year, New You offer, please use Code Selflove on our Store at check out!